The funicular railway - Brunate

The Como-Brunate railroad, that connects the lake with the mountains, was opened in December 1894.

Thereafter the small village of countrymen began to turn into a prestigious tourist place.
After forty years, the two coaches, called - Brunate- and - Como, passed from a steam traction to the electrical one. In order to make possible this technological innovation, a new building on two levels was built. In the ground floor, that widest one, the new machinery is set, with room for the maintenance and for emergency intervention; on the left side, there is a warehouse; the first floor is seat of the offices and the garage.

The lay-out of the funicular is 1084 meters long and, with the maximum slope of 55%, it exceeds an unevenness of approximately 500 meters.
Initially the coaches travel inside a tunnel, then they exit outside and from the windows it is possible to see the fantastic panorama. The run is fast and along the way there are two optional stops: Como alta and Crescione.

At the station of Brunate it is possible to have a look at the mechanism, that move the funicular, and to the imposing cogged wheels, that once drove steel ropes, now located in the little square behind the station.


« BACK

 
Map:



 La cittÓ Murata - the walled city

The expression - cittÓ murata - indicates the quadrangular area included between the walls risen betw ...
More ╗

 

 The Cathedral

The cathedral is the result of more than four centuries of working; the construction began in 1396 on the anci ...
More ╗

 

 Basilica of San Fedele

It is in the center of the city, in the homonymous public square; it comes from the addition of a longitudinal ...
More ╗

 

 The Broletto

Remarkable building with a gothic facade with white, grey, and red marble belts, flanked from the civic tower ...
More ╗

 

 Volta's temple

In the 1899 we already had the possibility to visit the Voltiana Exposure, full of manuscripts and instruments ...
More ╗

 

 Teatro Sociale

Built to a design by Giuseppe Cusi (1811-13), on the area of the destroyed castle called the Round Tower. It ...
More ╗

 

 Villa Olmo

The villa, built in neoclassical style, was commissioned from marquis Innocenzo Odescalchi and built up on a p ...
More ╗

 

 War Memorial

The tower, 33 meters high, with large windows and completely covered with stone of Aurisina and Reppen, rises ...
More ╗

 

 Porta Torre

It is the oldest and imposing medieval towers remained. It is the central one, and was erected in 1192 along w ...
More ╗

 

 Novocomum

It is the most accomplished early work of Italian Rationalism, built between 1927 and 1929, the architect Gius ...
More ╗

 

 Pinacoteca - Volpi Palace

Erected between 1610 and 1630 by Bishop Vulpiano Volpi, in forms that echo the style of Galeazzo Alessi and Pe ...
More ╗

 

 Casa del Fascio - Terragni Palace

It rises outside the perimeter of the walled city, on the Public square called Piazza del Popolo and is the mo ...
More ╗

 

 Castel Baradello

rful structure risen in dominant position, rebuilt by the Barbarossa towards the half of XII century.
The ...
More ╗

 

 Camerlata Fountain

Its planners were the architect Cesar Cattaneo and the painter Mario Radice. The idea was born in 1935 but the ...
More ╗

 

 Basilica of Sant' Abbondio

It is a meaningful example of Lombardic Romanesque architecture and masterpiece of the comacini masters. It ro ...
More ╗

 

lake Como tourism
tommstudio - Web Solutions
Via D.in Guerra, 36
Italy 22015 Gravedona (CO)
P.IVA 02948970138
email: info@tommstudio.it


Sitemap :: LarioOnLine services

lago di Como -  lake Como -  Comer see -  Lac de C˘me -  Comomeer
Accommodations on lake Como -  Italy Travel Guide -  Domaso lake Como
Gravedona lake Como -  Hotel, Camping, Apartments Domaso lake Como