• Duomo di Como

The Cathedral

The cathedral is the result of more than four centuries of working; the construction began in 1396 on the ancient Romanesque basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore. Looking carefully at the structure it is easy to recognize the different styles: from the marble gothic facade to the dome dated 1740, the year in which the church was finished.
Many artists worked in the church: for example, the architect Lorenzo degli Spazzi, to him was initially assigned the direction of the building site, then he was replaced by Pietro da Breggia and Florio da BontÓ.
The works went on, with the realization of the rose window on the facade, by Luchino Scarabota, Amuzio da Lugano, Tommaso Rodari da Maroggia who had the responsibility of the building site from 1487 to 1526. The beautifulr works of the facade, the flanks and the interior, and the model of the absidale part, then modified by Cristoforo Solari, are all by Rodari.

The right apse was erected under the direction of Francisco Maria Richino (1627-1633), the left one was begun from Carl Buzzi (1653).
The complete realization of the facade took more than fifty years: it began in 1447 and finished in 1498. The great portal is placed side by side from two aedicules with the statues of Plinio il Vecchio and Plinio il Giovane: the famous men of letters and civil employees of the roman empire, born in the first century a.d. in Como, have been placed in an honour position, although they were pagan.

The two lateral doors on the flanks are supposed to be the masterpiece of the brothers Tommaso and Jacopo Rodari, even though in the realization of the southern door Bramante maybe took part; the northern door, richly decorated, is said ôof the Frogö from a sculpture crippled in 1912. The dome, modified in 1773, has been brought back to the original shapes after have been damaged in the 1935 from a fire. The interior has a Latin cross shape, with three naves, divided by cross-shaped columns.

A rich complex of artistic works stands in the church; tapestries of the XVI and XVII century, made in Ferrara, Florence and Anversa. Sixteenth-century paintings, by Bernardino Luini and Gaudenzio Ferrari; a wooden altar of first the 1500's, dedicated to Sant' Abbondio, baroque stuccoworks by Francesco and Agostino Silva and nineteenth-century stained-glass windows by Giuseppe and Pompeo Bertini.

From the church of Santa Maria Maggiore come the two lions (end of XI century - beginning of the XII) that hold the fonts, the episcopal sarcophagus and the altar of Campionese school, recently replaced in the presbytery.


« BACK

 
Map:



 La cittÓ Murata - the walled city

The expression - cittÓ murata - indicates the quadrangular area included between the walls risen betw ...
More ╗

 

 The funicular railway - Brunate

The Como-Brunate railroad, that connects the lake with the mountains, was opened in December 1894.

...
More ╗

 

 Basilica of San Fedele

It is in the center of the city, in the homonymous public square; it comes from the addition of a longitudinal ...
More ╗

 

 The Broletto

Remarkable building with a gothic facade with white, grey, and red marble belts, flanked from the civic tower ...
More ╗

 

 Volta's temple

In the 1899 we already had the possibility to visit the Voltiana Exposure, full of manuscripts and instruments ...
More ╗

 

 Teatro Sociale

Built to a design by Giuseppe Cusi (1811-13), on the area of the destroyed castle called the Round Tower. It ...
More ╗

 

 Villa Olmo

The villa, built in neoclassical style, was commissioned from marquis Innocenzo Odescalchi and built up on a p ...
More ╗

 

 War Memorial

The tower, 33 meters high, with large windows and completely covered with stone of Aurisina and Reppen, rises ...
More ╗

 

 Porta Torre

It is the oldest and imposing medieval towers remained. It is the central one, and was erected in 1192 along w ...
More ╗

 

 Novocomum

It is the most accomplished early work of Italian Rationalism, built between 1927 and 1929, the architect Gius ...
More ╗

 

 Pinacoteca - Volpi Palace

Erected between 1610 and 1630 by Bishop Vulpiano Volpi, in forms that echo the style of Galeazzo Alessi and Pe ...
More ╗

 

 Casa del Fascio - Terragni Palace

It rises outside the perimeter of the walled city, on the Public square called Piazza del Popolo and is the mo ...
More ╗

 

 Castel Baradello

rful structure risen in dominant position, rebuilt by the Barbarossa towards the half of XII century.
The ...
More ╗

 

 Camerlata Fountain

Its planners were the architect Cesar Cattaneo and the painter Mario Radice. The idea was born in 1935 but the ...
More ╗

 

 Basilica of Sant' Abbondio

It is a meaningful example of Lombardic Romanesque architecture and masterpiece of the comacini masters. It ro ...
More ╗

 

lake Como tourism
tommstudio - Web Solutions
Via D.in Guerra, 36
Italy 22015 Gravedona (CO)
P.IVA 02948970138
email: info@tommstudio.it


Sitemap :: LarioOnLine services

lago di Como -  lake Como -  Comer see -  Lac de C˘me -  Comomeer
Accommodations on lake Como -  Italy Travel Guide -  Domaso lake Como
Gravedona lake Como -  Hotel, Camping, Apartments Domaso lake Como